Taking care of your roof is no easy feat. Maintenance and repairs quickly turn into an overwhelming and pricey situation. Roofing contractors in Harrisonburg, VA, will be the first to tell you that it doesn’t have to be this way.
It all starts with understanding how to care for your roof properly and taking preventative measures.
Types of Preventative Roof Maintenance
Understand the types of maintenance you’ll be faced with. Then, you can decide whether these are tasks you can handle yourself or whether you need to hire a Harrisonburg roofing professional.
Roof maintenance to be aware of includes:
- Cleaning and tidying the roof
- Conducting visual inspections annually or after a storm
- Tackling both minor and major repairs head-on
- Taking care of roof replacements when needed
Don’t wait until things get out of hand to call in a Harrisonburg, VA, roofing expert. Here are some tips to consider:
1. Complete Thorough Inspections
Roofing issues are a part of life, regardless of the season! In the hot and humid months, there is excessive sun damage and potential damage from hurricanes. In the cold months, there are potential leaks caused by melting ice and snow. This is why it’s important to conduct thorough inspections seasonally.
A few things to keep an eye out for include:
- Missing/damaged shingles. These are pretty easy to spot. When left untreated, your roof becomes vulnerable to leaks, further damaging your structure.
- Check the integrity of the structure. Check around the flashing and vent pipes, and keep an eye out for moss or lichen. Spotting some can be an indicator of potential decay beneath.
- Look at the flashing. This integral roofing component directs water away from your roof. It often surrounds chimneys, vents, and skylights. If you’re unsure what you’re looking for, get in touch with a Harrisonburg roofing contractor.
More importantly though, if anything looks wrong, call a professional Harrisonburg roofer. Attempting to make the repairs yourself could lead to bodily harm or further damage to the structure.
2. Mitigate Moss Regularly
Not only are moss, algae, and lichen unsightly, but they also cause extensive damage to your roof. Treat your roof and remove signs of moss growth early on. Talk to a roofing contractor in Harrisonburg, VA, if you have questions about setting up an inspection or what preventative products are best for moss growth.
3. Clear Your Gutters
Your gutters divert the water from your roof, helping keep your home’s foundation in good condition. If your gutters aren’t properly working or are full of debris, they will overflow and lead to water damage on your roof.
To avoid gutter and roof damage, clean your gutters regularly, especially in the fall months or after intense storms. If there is damage to your gutters, give a Harrisonburg roofing company a call.
4. Remove Debris
Not only should you remove debris from your gutters, but you should also remove it from your roof. Remove leaves, branches, and debris from the surface of the roof. Doing so will help avoid gutter blockage and extra weight. It will also lessen the chances of moss, algae, and more.
Need help with roof maintenance? Get in touch with roofing contractors in Harrisonburg, VA. They will make sure your roof stays in top condition year-round while keeping you and your family safe.